Learn Italian in Sorrento: Social Life
All students are encouraged to make the most of their time in Sorrento by exploring the town and local area for themselves, by attending local events and by participating in the guided excursions offered by the Italian Language School. These social activities enable students to really get to know Sorrento, the people and the surroundings and to experience the unique culture of Southern Italy.
Here are just some examples of the types of excursions offered:
A day in “Capri & Ischia”: Explore Capri and Ischia, the two main islands of the Bay of Naples. Capri is probably one of the most famous places in the world, a place known for its natural beauty such as the Blue Grotto and the dramatic Faraglioni rocks along the shore. Dominated by the dormant Mount Epomeo, Ischia tempts you to soak in its magnificent thermal baths, sunbathe along its beautiful beaches, or appreciate its verdant scenery.
A view of “Pompeii”: Pompeii and Herculaneum remain just as they were almost 2,000 years ago when the eruption of Mount Vesuvius engulfed the thriving Roman cities in ash. Discovered in the 18th century, the cities are perfectly intact, enabling you to spend a day doing as the Romans did. Traverse their roads; imagine gossiping in their forums, sleeping in their civilised houses and watching an ancient play or ritual in their amphitheatres.
Activities outside of the School:
Sorrento is full of cultural, artistic and outdoor activities year-round. Participating in these activities is a fun way to improve your Italian and interact with the locals. The local beach life has great appeal for students during the warmer months.
Some activities to try:
- The International Cinema Festival: Every year Sorrento hosts one of the most prestigious cinematic events; it is a grand occasion with celebrities from the international world of film.
- In the winter months, the festival “Teatro Insieme” hosts performances by prestigious Italian theatre companies.
- The festival “Estate Musicale Sorrentina” is the main cultural event of the year, offering a series of concerts and theatrical entertainments from the first week of July through to the first week of September.
- Throughout the year, concerts, usually jazz or classical music, are held in several venues.
- The main shopping street in Sorrento is Via S. Cesario and is lined with dozens of shops selling local and Italian crafts, as well as fruit and vegetable stands, whilst Cesario Italia has more modern boutiques to explore.
- You can also enjoy a wide range of water sports in Sorrento such as: snorkeling, scuba diving, sailing, and water skiing (sun-bathing and swimming are of course traditional favourites!).