A tailored German course for those who want to prepare for the TestDaF exam and need to build on current skills on a course in Germany, with the added advantage that the German language school in Heidelberg is a TestDaF exam centre (so the exam can be sat on school premises).
Short term study option: If you can already prove B2 (CEF) ability then you are welcome to study for 4 weeks prior to sitting the exam, simply to prepare for the exam and to polish up your German language skills.
Longer term study option: If you are not at B2 (CEF) level, then please book additional weeks/months of study prior to the final preparation period for the Test DaF exam. Students are welcome to book a Standard or Intensive course leading up to the final Test DaF exam course, as preferred. The long term course solutions are ideal for Beginners or those with low level German ability looking to gain proficiency in the language, and using the Test DaF exam as their course goal.
|Dates 2021||Application Deadline|
|09 Feb||21 Nov/14 Jan|
|20 Apr||26 Feb/25 Mar|
|08 June||08 April/06 May|
|15 Jul||27 May/24 Jun|
|09 Sept||16 Jul/12 Aug|
|09 Nov||15 Sept/12 Oct|
Exam fee: € 195
Requirements: B2.1 – C1.2
Please refer to the Course Quotes attached – students are welcome to follow a programme for any period of the year. However most students follow specific preparation for 4 weeks prior to the exam week itself and treat the final week with the exam in it as an excellent self-study opportunity prior to sitting their exam.
You therefore need to book ONE extra week of accommodation to include the exam period.
The TestDaF is a language test for foreign learners of German who plan to study in Germany or who require recognised certification of their language skills.
All examination candidates receive the same tasks and the examinations are graded by trained markers.
The examination results are assigned to one of three levels:
• TestDaF-Niveaustufe 5 (TDN 5 – TestDaF level 5)
• TestDaF-Niveaustufe 4 (TDN 4 – TestDaF level 4)
• TestDaF-Niveaustufe 3 (TDN 3 – TestDaF level 3)
These are equivalent to levels B2.1 to C1.2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Admission to university
Should you reach at least TDN 4 in each subtest, nothing stands in the way of your studies in Germany as far as language is concerned (naturally the remaining academic and legal requirements must also be met). A score of TDN 5 shows that you have a very good knowledge of German, above that required at the beginning of your studies.
Since every university in Germany has its own admissions policy, it is at the discretion of individual universities to admit applicants whose scores are below TDN 4 to courses of study. Please find out which TestDaF results are required by the university and/or in the subject of your choice prior to making your application. Some universities include such information on their websites.
– Intermediate to advanced learners of German who wish to obtain a differentiated assessment of their language skills.
– Applicants for a place at a German university.
– People requiring internationally recognised evidence of their knowledge of German for their further academic or professional career at home or abroad.
If you have started learning German only recently, it is advisable to wait until you have reached an intermediate level before registering for the examination.
What are the advantages of TestDaF?
– All German universities recognise the TestDaF certificate. A score of TDN 4 in all four subtests will guarantee admission to an academic degree course, provided that the university of your choice accepts the other elements of your application. Admission for candidates whose scores are below TDN 4 is at the discretion of individual universities, depending on factors such as the course subject, type of degree awarded and course duration.
– The TestDaF assesses the language skills necessary for study in Germany. The content and tasks of TestDaF are all related to academic, scientific and study-relevant topics.
– The TestDaF assesses the four language skills separately (reading, writing, listening, speaking). The certificate shows four separate results, giving you a clear picture of your strengths and weaknesses in each skill.
– The TestDaF is a standardised test, allowing you to focus on preparation.
– The TestDaF certificate is valid for an unlimited period of time.
– You can resit the examination as often as you wish if you are not satisfied with your result.